Monday, October 03, 2005

Nick's Big Day Out

Day 4:

Brisbane

Today was my first day that I truly fended for myself. With Tane and Lee off slaving for the man, I had plans to strike out for the big city. With no alarm clock other the incessant screeching of birds, I managed to sleep in today, till 8. A quick breakfast of snack bars, and I was on the road to the city.

With my now functional bike, I managed to pick my way along the numerous bike paths into the CBD (central business district). Its not exactly the shrine to capitalism that one would expect from a city of 1 million. It has a small town feel that everyone seems to notice. The city itself seems modest, with its subtle underspoken monuments dotting the cityscape. There would be a large monument with a man playing with his children as his wife looks on joyfully. "John Smith, a convict from exiled from Yorkshire, enjoyed his spare time playing with his children and walking the dog." And then in small print "Ps- He single handedly killed 3 battalions of Nazi's in WWII and invented underwear that never needs washing." It gives me hope that someday Brisbane will erect a monument for me...

Nick Vitone, depicted here eating a bowl of ice cream, also enjoyed creme brulee.

Ps- On October 3, 2005, he cycled 32.9 miles into the city and was the hero of the day when he rescued a school chaperone's seemingly lost sandal from a stairwell. And after dinner he washed the dishes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoah. Imagine my disappointment on saturday when I landed in Atlanta georgia boiling over with glee to surprise my 'ole friend Nick...who apparently stole away to Australia?! What?! Nick, the colonies stopped exporting their convicts there decades ago. I'm certain that you just misunderstood the judge at sentencing...
Well, since you're there please squeeze, NAtane, Lee and naomi watts (grooooowl!) for me. oh and ask her (natane AND naomi) if they ever got my emails (a year ago!) have fun! -E

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, can you take out the trash?

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home