Saturday, November 12, 2005

Upwind

Day 4

Ashley Gorge to Sheffield

Great country, great roads, great wind. I have a new found dislike and distrust for the subversive mocking winds. And I'm a headwind magnet. Only a 40 km ride, which ought to have been a 2 hour trip over flat terrain. I should have taken closer note of the "Pray the north westerly wind is not blowing". I should have gone to church in the last decade.

On the level sheltered sections, of which there was one, I was cruising along at a comfortable 35-40 kph. The wind was far from cooperative, slowing my progress to a scant 10 kph. People do this for fun? So much for my romantic visions of cruising the pastoral countryside in carefree ease.

A breathing rhythm is supposed to aid in endurance activities so I developed my own: Breath in, curse out, breath in, curse out. If nothing else I realized that I know far more curse words than I do colors.

Tapped of energy and swears I rolled into the campground after 3 hours of wind-whipped torment. I rather be a pinata at a MLB players fiesta than ride through wind like that again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

.... but was it windy?

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Nick...I've just caught up with your blog...wow, you've been having adventures. I'll try to check in more regularly but I guess you'll be heading home soon...?! Ah...to be young and carefree!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home