Saturday, December 03, 2005

Return to Normal?

One phrase I've heard, both before and after this epic adventure, is "Once in a lifetime", as in this trip was a once in a lifetime event. I mean no offense to any who have uttered this, but I wholeheartedly disagree. There is little doubt that this awesome trip has granted memories to last a lifetime (or at least until senility sets), but if I only embark on one such journey in my entire life, it would be a sad existence for me. I have indeed been bit by the travel bug (symptoms include an itchy red welt, and an intense desire to wander the world, much like Caine in "Kung Fu"), and I have no plans to stop, though a short break for the holidays is quite necessary.

And so, 8 weeks, 2 countries, 1 band-aid, 1 bicycle, 10 souvenir kangaroo leather scrotum pouches, 1349 pictures, 10,479 memories later I am in my native land. Jobless and jet-lagged, my first days have been relaxed; I have rarely seen the sun before noon (with no plans to change until after the holidays). Friends have aided in my re-acclimatization, bringing me up to date on gossip (of which there was very little in terms of debauchery, unless you count Jason's "Dirty Thirty" birthday party, or Kristen's drag queen bachelorette escapade), going to the latest movies, hitting the trails mountain biking, and dragging me back into the ultimate frisbee scene. I feel like a needy animal in rehab, nearly set to be released back into the wild. If I can hunt down and gather a few gifts for Christmas we will know I'm ready to be unleashed on the general population (however, more than likely I'll just buy everything online from the safety of home).


If you've managed to make it this far in blog then thanks for sticking with me. Its been incredible, and though I've probably not done justice to the complete wonders of Australia and New Zealand, I hope you can begin to appreciate the splendors of travels Down Under. And if you've already been, maybe this has enlivened some forgotten memories. Either way, get out there, not only Australia or New Zealand, but anywhere, chart a new course, find some adventure, and as they say Down Under, travel safe.

P.S.- Beware, the travel bug is highly contagious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home